DWA West is a photographic artist working on the south coast of England. He has enjoyed a lifelong relationship with photography, practicing as a Chartered Physiotherapist for twenty years, before consolidating his photographic skills and successfully working in London as a commercial photographer.
In 2015 he entered the MA photography program at the University of Brighton, the reflective nature of this period of study marked a shift in his creative process leading to experimentation with in-camera techniques to disrupt conditioned elements of the image, the resulting work explored the complex relationships between the aura of the photograph, time, space and being. Equally at home in the world of the analogue or digital image, David is practiced in discussing his work with groups of interested individuals, regularly lecturing and mentoring undergraduate and postgraduate students. In 2017 David took part in an experimental photography workshop at the Photographers Gallery in London.
For enquiries or additional information please follow the links or use the form below.
- MA Photography (Distinction) University of Brighton (2015-2017).
- City & Guilds Level 1 & 2 Photography (2005-2007).
- Graduate Diploma in Physiotherapy (1987).
- West Middlesex University Hospital School of Physiotherapy (1981-1984).
Exhibited work and selected group shows
- 2007: Our House, group exhibition, Croydon Clocktower, Katherine Street, Croydon, UK.
- 2008: Surrey Street Traders, The Whitgift Centre, Croydon, UK.
- 2008-09: The Brereton Bear, long term project the work of sculptor Nina Bilbey, Stratford, London, UK.
- 2010-11: Crystal Ballet, long term project focussing on work of the company London, UK.
- 2017: Hacking without coding, experimental photography using a scanner camera, The Photographers Gallery, 16-18 Ramillies Street, London, UK.
- 2017: Source Magazine Graduate Showcase.
- 2017: Inheritance, MA Photography Final Show, University of Brighton, 58-67 Grand Parade, Brighton, UK.
- 2019: Someone Somewhere, Mulitmedia Presentation and Stage Adaptation, The Green Room Productions, Eastbourne, UK.
- 2019: Founding member of Pryzma Collective. Brighton, UK.
- 2020: Nothing and Everything Happened, Brighton Photo Fringe, Pryzma Collective Group Show, The Regency Townhouse, Brunswick Square, Brighton, UK.
- 2022: Brighton Festival, Group Show. An Ark in The UK, Cabinets of Creatures, Open Market, Brighton, UK.
- 2022: Brighton Festival, Workshop manager Jim Cooke. Reserves, Brighton Festival, Beacon Hub, Ovingdene, UK.
- 2022: PhotoFringe Group Show. Ustopia, Shoreham Centre, UK.
- 2020: BFP Danny Wilson Memorial Awards, Peoples Choice Award ‘Best Physical Exhibition’: Nothing and Everything Happened (Pryzma Collective).
All Images © DWAWest 2017-2022